Online Personal Finance Game from the Council on Economic Education: http://www.genirevolution.org/index.php
Set up in a popular game format, students work their way through challenges answering key questions to earn points to advance through the game. If you’ve been to the International Spy Museum in Washington, D.C. you’ll be familiar with the “cloak and dagger” feel of the mission briefings, information gathering, and operative training incorporated in the game.
On Our Mind:
Thanks to all of our Facebook Fans!
Looking for some more iTunes reviews.
Digital Presenter Contest
From The Twitterverse:
- web20classroom RT @jackiegerstein: Wired’s Colleges Dream of Paperless, iPad-Centric Education http://bit.ly/cOkwz1
- andreacshaw RT @PFoundation: It’s the last week to apply for the Pearson Prize for Higher Edu. Spread the word to college students http://bit.ly/bAP9FP
- mayfieldc Personal finance game for kids: http://bit.ly/7xoOLc (Mentioned in the Advisory section of the podcast.)
- bhsprincipal RT @blairteach: RT @ryanbretag: Show faculty this video; it is full of relevant, important ideas for discussion w/edus http://bit.ly/aFGwKL
- mikeroberts1973 RT: @BarackObama Tomorrow, Arne Duncan will be answering your questions on education reform. Ask a question here: http://j.mp/cTzX6i
- drmmtatom Virtual Field Trip Planning Kit http://tinyurl.com/yabxdbp
- terryfreedman RT @GrahamBM: The opening morning videos of Game Based Learning 2010 are now online http://bit.ly/aApOuy
- DonorsChoose KnowHow2GO – Helping *middle* school students prepare for college http://bit.ly/c5Ca3e
- markgammon How to Set Up a Mail Merge in Gmail for Personalized Mass Emails http://bit.ly/a48ISc /via Lifehacker
- Twilliamson15 http://bit.ly/c1zTzu Notes from IMPACT Staff Development using K12Online Conference Sessions.
- educatoral RT @NMHS_Principal: Our Children Are Telling Us How They Want to Learn http://bit.ly/dadsri #edtech
- web20classroom RT @rww: You Are Not a Gadget: The Continuing Case Against Web 2.0 http://bit.ly/acAJn6
- educatoral RT @englishteach8: RT @delicious50: 11 Great Hidden Things Google Can Do That You Should Know @ SmashingApps http://bit.ly/kS73n
- keisawilliams Teaching Literary Devices with Comics http://bit.ly/cA0wnd
- matthewktabor The Creepiest Children’s Books Ever (with pictures): http://twurl.nl/vnicrq
From our Listeners:
I have been enjoying the podcast, but I get lazy about sending out science information. I hope you don’t mind if I continue to send it along to you. I hope these work out for you. Enjoy your Spring Break!!
Podcast Site: k12science.net
In the iTunes store, just do a search for: k12science
Middle School Science
11a. ISS EarthKAM Spring 2010 Mission
NASA has exciting news! EarthKAM has just launched a new beta version of its Web site. Middle school educators
are invited to join NASA for the International Space Station Spring 2010 Mission from April 27-30, 2010, and be
beta testers of the new site and software. Find out more about this exciting opportunity that allows students to take
pictures of Earth from a digital camera aboard the International Space Station. Just visit:
Middle School and High School Science
10a. The Siemens STEM Institute for 6th – 12th Grade Educators
A premier STEM immersion program brought to you by the Siemens Foundation, and administered by Discovery
Education in conjunction with the College Board. It will take place from August 1 – August 6, 2010. The location is
Discovery Communications world headquarters in Silver Spring, MD (outside of Washington D.C.) The application
deadline is April 16, 2010. The Siemens STEM Institute is a unique immersion program that promotes hands-on, real-world integration of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) in the classroom. Fifty educators will be selected as STEM
Fellows to attend this all expenses-paid, week-long professional development experience, hosted at the world
headquarters of Discovery Communications, located just outside of our nation’s capitol in Washington D.C.
For additional information on the resources and opportunities available through the Siemens STEM Academy,
10b. ReaL (Regional and Local) Earth Inquiry: Professional Development
On behalf of the Paleontological Research Institution (PRI), you are invited to participate in an exciting new
initiative to improve Earth science education across the nation to take place in Monroe, MI from July 28 – 30. PRI
and its Museum of the Earth is a non-profit organization based in Ithaca, New York. Composed of scientists and
accessible to audiences of all ages and backgrounds. As part of that mission, they are currently developing a series
of Teacher-Friendly Guides to North American Earth System Science. Supported by the National Science
Foundation, the project is a five-year initiative that will bring regional and local Earth system science into
classrooms across the nation. Stipends and support for travel and lodging total $800.00 per participant.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 3, 2010. For more information and to apply go to
Letter from Mr. Jackson
Social Media Explained in 4 minutes:
Four Day Week?
The Illinois House has sent to the Senate a bill that would allow local school boards to adopt a four-day week. Our first response: Bad idea. Shortening the school week is a move in the wrong direction. Illinois kids need more time in school, not less. They need a longer school day, and a longer school year. U.S. children spend far less time in school than their peers in Europe and Asia. And Chicago public school students spend less time in school than their peers in many charter schools, in suburban schools, and around the country.
Further research, though, provoked our second and prevailing response: A four-day week might be a good option — remember, this would be voluntary — for downstate districts with few students but vast territories. Those districts still would be required to teach the same number of total hours per year. So kids might get longer school days.
Google For Teachers Guide
Events & Happenings:
Calendar of Events:
- NMSA is looking for both an Executive Director and an Assistant Executive Director. You can apply here. Good luck!
- Digital Jumpstart: Digital Tools for Digital Learning Conference
- Novi, MI April 26, 2010 held at the Novi Sheraton. See link for details.
- The Michigan Association of Middle School Educators Annual Conference is coming up March 17-18, 2011 in Coopersville, MI.
- The Michigan Joint Education Conference will be in Redford, Michigan (Thurston High School) this summer June 23, 2010. Keep tabs on the website for more details coming soon.
- Classroom 2.0’s Live Calendar.
- Second Life:
- Regular Tuesday meetings are scheduled. See the board on the ISTE Island for up to the minute details.
- Video: Educational Uses of Second Life