Interview: James Sturtevant, You’ve Gotta Connect
- The Class Clown and getting cooperation through connecting. Go.
- Healthy skepticism- Why is this important?
- Platitudes – How does the big picture relate to sweating the details.
- How did you come to decide that teaching was your calling?
- What would be the most crucial thing that teachers should know/remember?
- Talk a bit about accepting students vs accepting behavior.
- How does a quote from Bo Schembechler make it into a book from an Ohio graduate? (i.e. Quintillanus: “Studium decendae voluntatae quae cogi non potest constat.”)
- How does a rookie teacher develop “Connecting Skills”?
- Where is the line between connecting with students and “trying to be their friend”?
- How can folks tie your book in with another World Book published author Kim Campbell’s If You Can’t Manage ‘Em, You Can’t Teach ‘Em?
- How much of “Connecting” is art vs. formula?
- Can “Withitness” be scripted?
From the Gang of 34 (7th grade volunteers):
- A Joke for Mr. Sturtevant from Yadira: Why do the Irish only eat 239 beans? Because one more would be “Two Farty” (240 w/Irish Brogue).
- We have a new teacher coming to _______ next week. What kinds of things should students do to make her feel welcome and help her build relationships with students?
- Say hello
- Also show her around the school and make her feel welcome