With four daughters and one son always dashing to school activities and part-time jobs, our schedule was hectic.
To add to this, we kept running out of household supplies.
I instructed them all to let me know when they used the last of any item by writing it down on a note pad on the refrigerator.
As a reminder, I wrote at the top: “IF WE ARE OUT OF IT, WRITE IT DOWN.”
When I checked the pad a few days later, to my delight I found the following message:
“MOM, YOU MAY BE A BIT OLD-FASHIONED, BUT YOU ARE NOT ‘OUT OF IT.”‘
Things Mom Would Never Say
“How on earth can you see the TV sitting so far back?”
“Yeah, I used to skip school a lot, too”
“Just leave all the lights on … it makes the house look more cheery”
“Let me smell that shirt — Yeah, it’s good for another week”
“Go ahead and keep that stray dog, honey. I’ll be glad to feed and walk him every day”
“Well, if Timmy’s mom says it’s OK, that’s good enough for me.”
“The curfew is just a general time to shoot for. It’s not like I’m running a prison around here.”
“I don’t have a tissue with me … just use your sleeve”
“Don’t bother wearing a jacket – the wind-chill is bound to improve”
From the Twitterverse:
- Frideswidel Starting to feel the excitement of first day back with kids. Anybody else not get any sleep the night before “The First Day”?
- JohnMikulski The best part of another school year is getting new shoes.
- mrichme If anyone is looking for an ASUS netbook woot.com has an excellent deal today $149.99. http://bit.ly/nrheW
- annemareemoore come see our students experience Indigenous Culture http://bit.ly/JM9Zl. Feel free to add your comment at http://bit.ly/xqtZL
- russeltarr The 7 Most Impressive Libraries Throughout History: http://tinyurl.com/mkbl44
- rrmurry “Teaching Naked” at 7th grade level — it works and is great. End class one day w/video to discuss next day. http://e4z2m.tk
- AngelaMaiers: Soungle.com – Royalty Free Sound Effects (FX) Library for Download http://ow.ly/oWMc
- AngelaMaiers: 100 Mobile Tools for Teachers – Tips – Mobile Maven http://ow.ly/oDRA
- gardenglen intriguing idea why 2 not teach fractions from Penn State 60 sec. Lectures: http://url.ie/2exj
- deangroom and finally today “Smart learners will find teachers who speak their own language” – go with honour ppl
Middle School “Dos and Don’ts”
National Library of Virtual Manipulatives:
What’s on our Mind:
1. How do your regional coordinators stay in contact with you?
2. Are you a member of your state’s middle school association?
3. Have you ever attended another state’s middle school association annual conference?
4. What did you do to survive the first day of school?
5. Reading a book called “Readicide” at the moment.
Events & Happenings:
Calendar of Events:
- NMSA’s Annual Conference: NMSA ‘08 Technology Focus Video. NMSA ‘09 Invitation Video: Indianapolis, IN Conference November 5-7, 2009. Individual Registration is now open. (Use MAMSE09 as your source code.)
- Video Competition: NMSA is looking for student based videos for the transitions between events at their annual conference. Information is at their website.
- Indiana schools may apply for a waiver and send their staff to the Friday sessions as a professional development day.
- Steps to obtain waiver request
- Franklin Community Schools Request (example)
- NMSA teacher session sheet (Note: It only has four, so if you’re not part of the Indiana crew, you’ll want to print one off for each day of the conference.)
- NMSA follow up sheet. (Note: This is geared to the Indiana group. I would suggest simplifying this for your own group.)
- Steps to obtain waiver request
- ATTENTION Michigan Association of Middle School Educators & Friends: MAMSE is putting together a bus for the trip to the National Middle School Association’s Annual Conference in Indianapolis, IN this fall. Ride down to the conference in a luxury bus. With all the conversations with middle school teachers on the bus, I wonder if we could call this a mini-MAMSE conference? There’s nothing like getting together with people who love the people we love: our students. Getting together with folks like that is energizing and priceless. Email Teresa Sutherland for information and details. Don’t forget to mention you heard about it on Middle School Matters.
- Dan Pink is keynoting the conference. Here’s a teaser at TED.
- NMSA 09 Housing Information now available.
- NMSA 09 Conference Connection: Stay connected before, during, and after the conference! Start your packing lists for the conference using packwhiz.com!
- Bob Spears does an interview on the Evolution of Advisory on NMSA’s podcast.
- ISTE Eduverse Talks are the recorded sessions held on ISTE Island every week. Join ISTE in their Second Life conference location for their weekly talks on education.
- The Ohio Middle Level Association will hold their annual conference February 18 & 19, 2010. Jack Berckemeyer will be keynoting.
- The Michigan Association of Middle School Educators Annual Conference is coming up March 4-5, 2010 in Dexter, MI. MAMSE will be celebrating its 40th Anniversary!
- The Wisconsin Association of Middle Level Educators is holding their Annual Conference October 8-9, 2009.
- Theater Education Opportunity: Eastern Michigan University’s Quirk-Sponberg Theater has announced their Fall 2009 Season.
“The Prince, the Wolf and the Firebird”
By Jackson Lacey
Directed by Pam Cardell
December 4, 5, 10, 11 at 7PM
December 5, 6, 12 at 3PM
School Matinees: December 9 and 10 at 10:00 am. Tickets $4.00 for students and every 15 students gets a chaparone in for free.
- Classroom 2.0’s Live Calendar.
- Classroom 2.0’s Ning Blog: Archived content is available. This week’s session: “Web 2.0 Tools Demonstration Using Prezi” by Steve Dembo of the Discovery Education Network.
- Second Life:
- No Events specified. Regular Tuesday meetings are scheduled. See the board on the ISTE Island for up to the minute details.
- Video: Educational Uses of Second Life