How do we know that the following fractions are in Europe? A/C, X/C and W/C ?
Two Physicists were riding in a hot air balloon and were blown off course sailing over a mountain trail, and were completely lost.
They spotted a jogger running on the trail and they shouted “Can you tell us where we are?” After a few minutes, the jogger yelled back “You’re up in a balloon.”
One physicists said to the other, “Just our luck to run into a mathematician”. “How do you know he was a mathematician?” asked the other.
“Well, in the first place he took a long time to answer; second, his answer was 100% correct and third, ,it was totally useless.”
If a ham sandwich is better than nothing and Nothing is better than Life, itself, does that mean that a ham sandwich is better than Life itself?
Three statisticians went duck hunting. A duck was approaching and the first statistician shot,And missed the duck by being a foot too high. The secondshot and was a foot too low. The third cried, “We hit it!”
From the Twitterverse:
- KD9SR Participating in DEN Virtual Conference (Discovery Educator Network) http://blog.discoveryeducation.com/virtcon09/ #DEN
- JohnMikulski Blog Post: Intro to Podcasting for Teachers http://trunc.it/2r1va
- willrich45 “For U.S. college students, Internet technologies have become so ubiquitous as to seem invisible.” http://bit.ly/2pg53 What about educators?
- willrich45 EduCon 2.2 — Call For Conversations and Registration” http://j.mp/9Y5Bh Don’t Forget to submit proposals by Nov 1!!!
- MrsPendergest Ghosts and Legends http://tinyurl.com/yjmuyxf is an extension of http://tinyurl.com/ylocf87 with this http://tinyurl.com/ygwdtys (Local History)
- cfanch Key Curriculum Press is having a good sale on books for $7.50. We’re stocking up! http://keypress.com/x24726.xml
- math2go Instructional coaching: http://instructionalcoach.org/articles.html
- rmbyrne Free Technology for Teachers: Week In Review – The Most Popular Items http://ff.im/-aoUeM
- cshirky –hope-this-works (hackintoshing my HP Mini…)
- paulallison Favorite thing that Ted Sizer used to say: “You should be able to have dinner with the people who set standards for your children.”
- tonitones Apple: we can find engineers – but we can’t find engineers who will work in a group #adecamp09
- tonitones is the mindset in your school built around a culture of creativity and a strive for innovation? #adecamp09
- NMSAnews Start your conference experience now. Join NMSA09 Conference Connections http://nmsa09.ning.com/
- schoolwise NCLB cheats gifted kids says http://tinyurl.com/yhw59l3. Agree? Me, too.
What’s My Line? Cartoon Edition: http://www.worldmag.com/articles/16000
Take the cartoon, erase the text and let students then create text to fit a scene. It doesn’t have to relate
On Our Mind:
One of the biggest classroom management mistakes teachers make is that they take disrespectful behavior personally. To quote Tom Hagen speaking to Sonny Corleone in the classic movie The Godfather, “This is business, not personal.”
Create easy flow charts (for Free):
Google Apps for Education Lesson Plans:
Museum Virtual Box:
Welcome to Museum Box, This site provides the tools for you to build up an argument or description of an event, person or historical period by placing items in a virtual box. What items, for example, would you put in a box to describe your life; the life of a Victorian Servant or Roman soldier; or to show that slavery was wrong and unnecessary? You can display anything from a text file to a movie. You can also view and comment on the museum boxes submitted by others
The CU On-line Handbook:
So while online is not a cure-all or “magic bullet”, it does have the potential to revolutionize how we think about, and deliver education. The future is here. The question is only, “What should we do about it?”
Stress, Control, and the Deprofessionalizing of Teaching:
Twitter Lessons in 140 Characters or Less
“It’s not a research-based tool,” said Daniel T. Willingham, a professor of psychology at the University of Virginia, in Charlottesville. “The most important thing to remember is that we have no idea what impact these tools have on learning, and it will take a decade to answer that question.”
Nearly half of Dallas 5th-graders not ready for middle school
As Dallas schools focus on getting all students ready for college, they face a daunting challenge uncovered by a new district tracking system: Almost half of fifth-graders are not even ready for middle school.
To be considered ready for middle school, fifth-graders had to pass the state TAKS exams in reading, math and science, and could not fail more than one core academic class, according to the district’s formula.
“You don’t just get on the college track in high school. You’re really on the college track well before that,” Dahlander said.
Events & Happenings:
Calendar of Events:
- NMSA’s Annual Conference: NMSA ‘08 Technology Focus Video. NMSA ‘09 Invitation Video: Indianapolis, IN Conference November 5-7, 2009. Individual Registration is now open. September 30th early registration deadline is approaching (Use MAMSE09 as your source code.)
- Video Competition: NMSA is looking for student based videos for the transitions between events at their annual conference. Information is at their website.
- Indiana schools may apply for a waiver and send their staff to the Friday sessions as a professional development day.
- Steps to obtain waiver request
- Franklin Community Schools Request (example)
- NMSA teacher session sheet (Note: It only has four, so if you’re not part of the Indiana crew, you’ll want to print one off for each day of the conference.)
- NMSA follow up sheet. (Note: This is geared to the Indiana group. I would suggest simplifying this for your own group.)
- Steps to obtain waiver request
- Dan Pink is keynoting the conference. Here’s a teaser at TED.
- NMSA 09 Housing Information now available. Some hotels are nearing full if not so already. Special housing rates end October 5th.
- NMSA 09 Conference Connection: Stay connected before, during, and after the conference! Start your packing lists for the conference using packwhiz.com!
- ISTE Eduverse Talks are the recorded sessions held on ISTE Island every week. Join ISTE in their Second Life conference location for their weekly talks on education.
- The Ohio Middle Level Association will hold their annual conference February 18 & 19, 2010. Jack Berckemeyer will be keynoting.
- The Michigan Association of Middle School Educators Annual Conference is coming up March 4-5, 2010 in Dexter, MI. MAMSE will be celebrating its 40th Anniversary!
- Theater Education Opportunity: Eastern Michigan University’s Quirk-Sponberg Theater has announced their Fall 2009 Season.
“The Prince, the Wolf and the Firebird”
By Jackson Lacey
Directed by Pam Cardell
December 4, 5, 10, 11 at 7PM
December 5, 6, 12 at 3PM
School Matinees: December 9 and 10 at 10:00 am. Tickets $4.00 for students and every 15 students gets a chaparone in for free.
- Classroom 2.0’s Live Calendar.
- Classroom 2.0’s Ning Blog: Archived content is available.
- Second Life:
- No Events specified. Regular Tuesday meetings are scheduled. See the board on the ISTE Island for up to the minute details.
- Video: Educational Uses of Second Life