MSM #111: Dr. Silver’s MAMSE Moment
A young businessman had just started his own firm. He’d rented a beautiful office and had it furnished with antiques. Sitting there, he saw a man come into the outer office. Wishing to appear busy, the businessman picked up the phone and started to pretend he had a big deal working. He threw huge figures around and made giant commitments. Finally, he hung up and asked the visitor, “Can I help you?” The man said, “Sure. I’ve come to install the phone!”
On Our Mind:
You can now sign up to receive updates via email.
From the Twitterverse:
- stevefarber Friend: “Someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you’ve forgotten the words.” -Jim Warner
- mjsamberg Resources from “Linux in the Classroom”: http://www.tinyurl.com/nctieslinux #ncties
- zeitz Who’s pushing Emerging Technologies in higher education? students . . . http://is.gd/9Niwi
- DanielPink Fascinating NPR interview with NCLB supporter-turned-critic Diane Ravitch….http://bit.ly/c8Lfvi
- russeltarr Using Edmodo in the classroom: http://tinyurl.com/l2nvsb
- Lilylauren Oh the irony- my predictive text doesn’t know how to spell Nostradamus
- DeronDurflinger RT @NMHS_Principal: Worst thing to do when moving towards change/successful implementation is to “mandate” #GTAdmin Agreed!
- drmmtatom Jeopardy Labs: Make Your Own Online Jeopardy Game http://tinyurl.com/yaeha54
- rmbyrne It’s Not All Flowers and Sausages: Why The Superintendent Firing All the Teachers in One School Should Be Ashamed… http://ff.im/-gEkyv
Twitter MAMSE Special:
- Griffbuddy #MAMSE http://www.strengtheningfamiliesprogram.org/ Parents train parents. #mamse10
- Frideswidel #mamse making rainsticks and using the design as a prompt for writing.
- Griffbuddy #MAMSE One out of every three middle school students are obsese or in danger of being obese! #MAMSE10
- Smhearty School worked with a court system. Saved the court $64,000 a year. #mamse
- Griffbuddy #MAMSE majority of parents are not PITAS (pain in the a**es). We want them involved. #MAMSE10
- Frideswidel #mamse Candy Writing Assignment: Using the senses to create an advertisement for the candy (then they can eat it).
- Frideswidel RT @Griffbuddy: #MAMSE Dr. Santo Pino, NMSA, and Dean Hook, presentation: Securing Parent Involvement In Your School.
- Frideswidel #mamse Art teacher talking about incorporating Art with writing (6+1 Traits). www.marymillerart.com
- Frideswidel #mamse demo of Stratalogica.
- dexgeek Technology is only one of the tools that teachers use to engage students. I’m glad I can arm them with the tools and skills. #MAMSE
- Smhearty We train kids not to think but how to get an A. #mamse
- Smhearty Got a great compliment today – “Aren’t you guys presenting today? We have other teachers here today.” #mamse
- Griffbuddy #MAMSE Be there. Choose your attitude. Make their day. Play. Fish philosophy in schools (choose your attitude when you come to work).
- Griffbuddy #MAMSE Advisory is necessary because strong relationships help teachers become adept @ diagnosing student needs. #MAMSE10
- tanyaov #mamse Wow. MAMSE conference is excellent. I LOVE learning new things.
The State of Michigan put out a memo with a bitly link.
Dr. Debbie Silver: www.debbiesilver.com
New Favorite Conference Software: Skim
Google Docs for Administrators:
Sarah Rolle, Director of Technology for Elisabeth Morrow School, shared tips on GoogleDocs Tips for Administrators.
Mary Miller: Artist, Teacher, Integrator of Curriculum
Events & Happenings:
Calendar of Events:
- NMSA is looking for both an Executive Director and an Assistant Executive Director. You can apply here. Good luck!
- The Michigan Association of Middle School Educators Annual Conference is coming up March 17-18, 2011 in Coopersville, MI.
- The Michigan Joint Education Conference will be in Redford, Michigan (Thurston High School) this summer June 23, 2010. Keep tabs on the website for more details coming soon.
- Classroom 2.0’s Live Calendar.
- Classroom 2.0’s Ning Blog: Archived content is available.
- Second Life:
- Regular Tuesday meetings are scheduled. See the board on the ISTE Island for up to the minute details.
- Video: Educational Uses of Second Life