MSM- 122 Amazing People, School’s out.
A newsboy was standing on the corner with a stack of papers, yelling, “Read all about it; Fifty people swindled! Fifty people swindled! Curious, a man walked over, bought a paper, and said, “Hey kid, this is an old paper, wheres the story about the big swindle?” The newsboy ignored him and went on calling out, “Read all about it; Fifty-one people swindled!”
On Our Mind:
Memorial Day Weekend
Red Skelton – Pledge of Allegiance
From the Twitterverse:
- mguhlin Digital audio recorder quest: affordable, powerful, compatible (May 2010) http://ping.fm/Z90kk
- mrhgaddis RT @swalker2: If you want teachers to embrace tech and make steps forward u must take away their fear via support and model #edchat
- cybraryman1 TO ALL PRINCIPALS: Free Story of US DVD. To get History Channel’s free DVD of “America: The Story of US.” for (cont) http://tl.gd/1i8mgm
- zeitz Live WebCam of the BP Oil Leak in the Gulf of Mexico. http://bit.ly/a8Ndwd
- Lilylauren _________________ could try harder, I just don’t think she wants to #failedreportcomments
- Lilylauren She gets distracted easily…. sometimes by nothing but herself #failedreportcomments
- Lilylauren This child has been working with glue too much. #failedreportcomments
- Lilylauren ___________________ has a photographic memory but with the lens cover glued on. #failedreportcomments
- Lilylauren Your son sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them. #failedreportcomments
- russeltarr Ipod Touch in Education: http://tinyurl.com/ng74so (http://classtools.net/twitter/tweet.php?message=Ipod%2520Touch%2520in%2520Education&url=http://learninginhand.com/ipod/touch.html)
- connect2jamie It is feeling more like the end of school! And I’m ready, BTW!
- gardenglen RT @science_4_all: All 23 of the “Interesting Ways” presentations in one place http://bit.ly/doHklO #interestingways #EdTech
- web20classroom RT @mwedwards: RT @biguniverse: If we teach today’s students as we taught yesterday’s, we rob them of tomorrow. -John Dewey
- stevegarfield IRONY: Warner Bros. Sued for Pirating Anti-Pirating Technology http://bit.ly/dmsbcz
- skipz Sciyo – Hundreds of Free Science Books and Journals – http://snipurl.com/wwaiu [www_freetech4teachers_com]
1. 10 YouTube Videos of People Doing Amazing Things
*Note- turn the sound off for the breakdance video
2. Time to revisit one of your Advisory activities from the Fall!
Remember measuring your Advisory students’ height this past fall? We talked about an activity to help your students see their growth over the course of the year. In case you missed that podcast, you take a length of twine and have the student put one end at their heel and the other end at their head. Try to get as exact as you can (you’ll be off by a little, don’t worry about it) and then label each students’ string for June. When the last week of school comes around do the activity again and have the students compare strings. Some will be dramatically different, some not so much.
From Dave Bydlowski, RESA Science Specialist:
10a. You Be the Chemist on TV This Week
Watch Students in Grades 5-8 compete in the Michigan championships of the You Be the Chemist contest. The winner advances to the national YBTC championship in Philadelphia. It will be broadcast on Detroit Public Television on Tuesday, June 1 at 8:00 PM and Wednesday, June 2 at 1:30 AM. You can view the commercial for the event on YouTube at:
or just search for You Be the Chemist.
9a. Introduce Your Students to Nanoscale Science
Nano concepts represent self-contained instructional materials focusing on the key ideas in nano scale science and engineering (NSE) and their applications. Each Nano concept contains a general user introduction, main concept, notes, images and/or simulations. A usage guide and connections to general science concepts aid integration into the classroom environment. You can get more information by visiting:
Plus: The interactive Nanocos game encourages students to learn important science concepts and their role at the nanoscale. Combining both the entertainment of popular card games with the educational value of nano concepts, Nanocos will appeal to both students and educators alike. Contained within each card is a scientific concept that forms the basis of modern nanotechnology. Because of the varying levels of complexity that unfold during each game, students will never get bored looking for the perfect strategy. Visit the Nano concepts site to download instructions for playing the game. To play the game, please visit:
9c. New Science Teacher Academy
The NSTA New Science Teacher Academy Foundation is a professional development initiative created to promote quality science teaching, enhance teacher confidence and classroom excellence, and improve teacher content knowledge. Program expenses will be paid for qualified middle or high school science teachers entering their second or third year of teaching and working a schedule with more than 50 percent of their classes in science. The deadline to apply is June 21, 2010. For more information, please visit:
9d. Spark Interest in STEM Careers
MWM’s inquiry- and design-based STEM program trains teachers on what are called Materials World Modules, teaching units focused on matter and its applications. The idea is to give teachers the lessons and tools to increase student interest and achievement in STEM subjects and careers. The program pairs teachers with scientists and engineers, who will also serve as mentors and resources after the program is completed. Just visit:
From the website:
- Todd Williamson Says:
May 27th, 2010 at 9:35 pmHey Troy, thanks for your thoughts on the iPad. I’m still holding out (though barely) for the 2nd Generation as I think there will be some significant changes between the 1st and 2nd. I know during one of my MLE sessions someone mentioned having a class set of iPod Touches and that they were able to sync them all to a single iTunes account. I’d love some clarification on that from a legal standpoint, but it seems like that is likely what has happened so far with the Touch. That would mean that Apps purchased for the account were available to all Touch/iPads connected to that account. Seems like a loophole Apple would want to clarify one way or the other.
I really think we’re going to see a significant price drop or production drop on the eReaders from Amazon and B&N now that apps exist for both companies for the iPad. Overall, those two companies are focused on selling books, both digital and dead tree. Why stay in a market you aren’t built for (eReader hardware design) when there is a platform available that you can pump money into the software side, and still sell your books? Time will tell…
(similar to WallWisher).
A plethora of links to evaluate technology planning, web resources, technology impact, and evaluations & reports.
iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad app that lets you take grades in a rubric format while you circle the room.
Cognitive Surplus: The Great Spare-Time Revolution
Clay Shirky and Daniel Pink have led eerily parallel lives. Both grew up in Midwest university towns in the 1970s, where they spent their formative years watching television after school and at night. Both later went to Yale (a BA in painting for Shirky, a law degree for Pink). And both eventually abandoned their chosen fields to write about technology, business, and society.
Videos: Making Data Matter
Education leaders and school data experts from the district, state, and national levels discuss how data-driven decisionmaking can be used to drive instruction during a recent Education Week Leadership Forum on “Making Data Matter.
Banking Giant Offers Financing for Charter Schools
JPMorgan Chase & Co., a global financial-services company, has announced a $325 million effort to support building, expanding, and renovating charter school facilities.
School’s out, but should it be?
A movement is underway to lengthen the school year, or at least provide students with year-round academic enrichment to prevent “the summer slide.”
But districts continue to cut programs as budgets have shrunk.
Events & Happenings:
Calendar of Events:
- NMSA is looking for an Assistant Executive Director.
- National Conference: Thursday, November 04, 2010 —Saturday, November 06, 2010 Baltimore, Maryland
- Need a letter to your administrator explaining the benefits of attending NMSA? How about this one?
- Registration forms are now on the website:
- Promotional Materials:
- ISTE Eduverse Talks are the recorded sessions held on ISTE Island every week. Join ISTE in their Second Life conference location for their weekly talks on education.
- ISTE 2010 June 27-30, 2010 (Formerly NECC) in Denver, Colorado.
- The Michigan Joint Education Conference will be at Thurston High School in Redford, MI this June 23, 2010.
- The Ohio Middle Level Association will hold their annual conference February 18 & 19, 2010. Jack Berckemeyer will be keynoting.
- The Michigan Association of Middle School Educators Annual Conference is coming up March 17-18, 2011 in Coopersville, MI. Coopersville Middle School is a National Schools to Watch School. (Phone: (616) 997-3400))
- Classroom 2.0’s Live Calendar.
- Classroom 2.0’s Ning Blog: Archived content is available.
- Second Life:
- Regular Tuesday meetings are scheduled. See the board on the ISTE Island for up to the minute details.
- Video: Educational Uses of Second Life