Join us as we get specific about the NMSA 2007 Conference. It’s amazing how much excellent material we picked up there. In this episode, we discuss a couple of the presentations that we attended. Rick DuFour’s presentation was fantastic. I really do hope that NMSA will be able to broadcast it at some point.
I then discuss Walt Grebring’s Presentation “Effective Leadership Equals Successful Schools”
His presentation is based off of Todd Whittaker’s work – What Great Principals Do Differently.
I started with a poem that Mr. Grebring distributed on Leadership.
Principals Role in a Role in Positive School Climate by Walt Grebring:
- Have a vision for a school
- Role model for teaching a class and walk throughs
- Be a great listener – do NOT try to solve everyone’s problem
- Be a facilitator and empower your staff
- Enjoy watching others grow
- Remove the fear of failure
- “Better to ask forgiveness than ask permission”
- Willing to consistent examine the climate and take steps to improve.
Seven Cardinal Skills:
- Demonstrate compassionate understanding of the characteristics and needs of developing adolescents.
- Ability to develop and communicate a vital school philosophy based upon the needs of the students.
- Use shared decision making, involving stakeholders to direct the school toward the vision
- Develop interdisciplinary team organization
- Continuous school improvement
- Leader is an instructional leader.
- Hire/Assemble an effective staff
This was just a quick overview. However, it is a great thought provoker.
Shawn also discusses one of the sessions that he went to on RTI (Response to Intervention).
Response to Intervention Through Middle School Electives www.eps.n-cook.k12.il.us
1. Learning Navigation Map
2. Guided Notes
3. Podcasting student lessons (ProfCast).
4. Diagramming spelling words etymologically.
5. Work Log