Shawn and Troy talk about the impact of COVID on students, executive function, and more. Dave shares time management tips in Science.
Thank you for explaining “going against the grain” to me.
- But it really rubbed me the wrong way.
I misplaced Dwayne Johnson’s cutting tool for the origami workshop!
- I can’t believe I lost the Rock’s Paper Scissors!
Our hero’s second adventure had him learning how to calm the ocean’s waves.
- It was a sea quell.
My friend David lost his ID in Prague
- Now we just call him Dav
I hate cliffhangers
- They’re just so…
Middle School Science Minute
K12Science Podcast: Time Management
I was recently reading the March/April 2023 issue of “Science Scope” a publication of the National Science Teaching Association.
In this issue, I read the “Practical Research” column, written by Alison Betz Seymour. She wrote an article entitled, ““But, I’m Not Done Yet!” Time Management in the Science Classroom.”
Here are some practical, simple suggestions to develop time management skills:
1. Explicitly talk about time management.
2. Prompts such as “Check in with your time, there are about 10 minutes left for this task.”
3. Scaffold students’ ability to visualize time by using an analog clock with time intervals marked with dry-erase pens.
Reports from the Front Lines
- Budget Season
- ‘Tis the Assessment Season
- Word Count
The Social Web
“What’s Love Got to Do With It? – Creating Connections in the Classroom”
Michael McCullough @ME_McCullough
Stop using pop culture references as the first half of the title of your journal article.
Word of the day is ‘battologise’ (17th century): to needlessly and annoyingly repeat the same thing, over and over.
I spend a lot of time with ChatGPT. My impression… It’s just really book smart. It has no life experience except what it’s read. It’s as inaccurate and as sure of itself as people I meet in real life that have read a lot about a subject but have no operational knowledge.
If you’re looking for professional learning – find free, high-quality, asynchronous, professional learning at https://literacyessentials.org! From PreK to Disciplinary Literacy, there’s something for every teacher! #MichiganLiteracy
Illinois State @IllinoisStateU
BREAKING NEWS Illinois State is retiring its 100-year-old official nickname of “Redbirds” and will henceforth be known as the “Fighting Pedagogues.” #PedagoguePride
Article on the current state of #AI text-to-video generators https://www.wired.com/story/text-to-video-ai-generators-filmmaking-hollywood/ A comparison of 5 tools for creating talking avatars https://youtu.be/U0HNdsxC8YU And a tutorial on how to make your own #balenciaga meme style videos https://youtu.be/IFszI_wUhzQ #ChatGPT #video #midjourney
Mario Fabbrini, owner of Papa Fabbrini Pizzas, watches the ceremonial burial of 29,188 frozen pizzas on 5 March, 1973. He had been ordered to recall the pizzas by the Food and Drug Administration. To demonstrate his accountability, Fabbrini organized a public disposal of the pizzas, later dubbed the “Great Michigan Pizza Funeral”.
Six Things Educators Must Know About Neurodivergent People
Above The Noise
ABOVE THE NOISE is a show that cuts through the hype and takes a deeper look at the research and facts behind controversial and trending topics in the news. Hosted by Myles Bess.
Capitalize My Title
Choose your style:
- APA: Capitalize using the APA style guide.
- Chicago: Capitalize using the Chicago Manual of Style capitalization rules.
- AP: Use the Associated Press Stylebook capitalization guidelines.
- MLA: Use the MLA Handbook title capitalization rules.
- BB: Use the Bluebook title capitalization rules.
- AMA: Use the AMA Manual of Style capitalization rules.
- NY Times: Use the NY Times style guidelines.
- Wikipedia: Use Wikipedia’s capitalization rules.
- Email: Use proper capitalization rules for email.
Choose your case options:
- Title Case: Capitalize only the words that should be capitalized according to the top tab style guide.
- Sentence Case: Capitalize only the first word of each sentence.
- Uppercase: Convert your title from lowercase to uppercase.
- Lowercase: Convert your title from uppercase to lowercase.
- First Letter: Capitalize the first letter of every word.
- Alt Case: Capitalize every other letter of your text starting with the first letter being capitalized.
- Toggle Case: Change the case of every letter in your string. Similar to the Microsoft Word feature.
- Straight quotes: Curly quotes (“,”,‘,’) are used in good typography. If you need to use straight quotes, enable this feature.
- Get Headline Score/Get Email Subject Score: Find out how strong your headline or email subject is by using our convenient tools.
Introduction to Earth Science
The Open Education Initiative at Virginia Tech is pleased to announce a newly-adapted work by Dr. Laura Neser. Introduction to Earth Science is a 530+ page open textbook designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to Earth Science that can be freely accessed online, read offline, printed, or purchased as a print-on-demand book. It is intended for a typical 1000-level university introductory course in the Geosciences, although its contents could be applied to many other related courses.
AXIS – The Culture Translator
Work vs. Worship
What it is: The Atlantic’s Derek Thompson charts the rise of “workism,” a cultural phenomenon that positions work as the thing that provides what people used to expect from organized religion.
What it is: TikTok posts detail the pressure, excitement, and heartbreak of the college admission process.
Pitch keeps your team’s work on-brand, on message, and on time. Innovative features make creating and sharing your work feel effortless.
Apparently, the very idea of colorblindness is hard to visualize. Take a shot at looking through my eyes.
Living with colorblindness feels like you’re constantly being pranked by the world in subtle, irritating ways.