Shawn and Troy struggle with the jokes, review the web, hear voices (and create voices), and more. Dave has the concepts and practices of science.
Just trying to read the Led Zeppelin wikipedia entry about when Jimmy went missing, but it says Page Not Found.
How many pastry chefs does it take to make a pie?
NASA is launching a mission to say sorry to all the aliens.
- They are calling it Apollo G.
Question: What did Worf say when small ice asteroids began hitting the Enterprise hull?
Answer: “Captain, we are being hailed.”
Lumberjack reply guys are like “well axe-ually”
I just finished my income review for the IRS
- It was very taxing.
I had a dream that I was an oil-field.
- I can’t tell you how bored I was.
Mary and James Smith walk into the doctor’s office.
“What seems to be the problem?” The doctor asks.
“Well, my husband keeps referring to himself as a separate person,” Mary explains worriedly.
“James doesn’t see a problem with this,” James says.
“Ah, I see,” the doctor says.
“Have you ever heard of anything like this before?” Mary asks desperately.
“Only twice. Which means that your husband… is the third person.”
Middle School Science Minute
K12Science Podcast: Scientific Ways of Doing
I was recently reading the Fall, 2023 issue of “The Science Teacher” a publication of the National Science Teaching Association.
In this issue, I read the section, “Commentary” written by John Suchocki. He wrote an article entitled, “Pathways to Science Literacy.”
The concepts of science and the practices of doing science are not the same. As science teachers, we should pull the rich practices of science (the ways of doing science) out front and center as a helix wrapping around the core concepts of science.
Reports from the Front Lines
- Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference
- Join me Tuesday morning
The Social Web
This Year’s ‘Stand Out From Crowd’ Christmas Eye-Catching Grinch Sweatshirt lol
Cursive makes a comeback — by law — in public schools https://trib.al/dNrEy8j
Word of the day is ‘dumfungled’ (19th century): worn out, used up, and totally spent. See also ‘depooperit’ and ‘forswunk’.
Today one of my top set year 10s called me Mum. I gave him a gold star and awarded myself one too for the heck of it. #EduGlow
New FREE streaming service. Lots of great resources and scheduled live events.
This web app allows you to generate voice audio from text – no login needed, and it’s completely free! It uses your browser’s built-in voice synthesis technology, and so the voices will differ depending on the browser that you’re using. You can download the audio as a file, but note that the downloaded voices may be different to your browser’s voices because they are downloaded from an external text-to-speech server. If you don’t like the externally-downloaded voice, you can use a recording app on your device to record the “system” or “internal” sound while you’re playing the generated voice audio.
Change voices for fun effects.
Note: For some voices (Bane and Dalek, for example), you’ll need to put on the correct “accent” for the voice transformation to work properly. Basically, try to make your voice sound like the target voice, and the engine will add some effects to make it sound like the real thing. Another random tip: You’ll need to talk relatively slowly if you’re using any of the “echo-ey” voices, otherwise the echos will make it hard to understand.
You can use the generated audio clips for any purpose at all (commercial usage included). There’s no need to credit voicechanger.io if you don’t want to. You can leave feedback here, but please note this is just a hobby project so I won’t be updating the site regularly. Thanks for stopping by – I hope you find this site useful! 😄
AXIS: The Culture Translator
Here are 5 conversation starters to help spark meaningful, memorable, and fun discussions around the Thanksgiving table. Thanks for being a part of the Axis family!
- There was a lot of discussion in 2023 about how often men think (or don’t think) about the Roman Empire. Do you ever think about the Roman Empire? Or, is there a different era of history you often find yourself thinking about?
- “Barbenheimer” might be over, but the question remains: if you could watch two movies back-to-back on the big screen with your friends, what would you pick?
- It looks like Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce might be introducing their families to each other this weekend. How soon do you think couples should meet each other’s parents?
- A “Mean Girls” reboot will hit theaters early next year—and, it’s apparently a musical. What’s one reboot or sequel that you think was better than its original?
- “Girl math” was trending earlier this year as people discussed the unusual ways they sometimes justify spending money (i.e. anything you buy on a gift card feels like it might be free). Do you have any quirky spending habits like these?
How Stories Shape Our Minds
The 20 Internet Giants That Rule the Web
Stories Behind the Most Famous Photos in History
Random Thoughts . . .
It is Michigan-Ohio State Week: https://youtu.be/9ak9Uxtntfk and for 2023: https://files.mastodon.social/cache/media_attachments/files/111/471/590/843/454/385/original/8c7463b4c0e8c043.mp4