My wife and I were at my high school reunion. As I looked around, I noticed the other men in their expensive suits with their bulging stomachs. Proud of the fact that I weighed just five pounds more than I did when I was in high school, the result of trying to beat a living out of a rocky hillside farm, I said to my wife, “I’m the only guy here who can wear the suit he graduated in.” She glanced at the prosperous crowd. “You’re the only one here who has to.”
A devastated-looking man knocks on the door of a woman known for her charity. “Please, ma’am,” he says when she opens up, “can you help this poor, tragic family down the block? The father just lost his job, and his wife is too ill to work. They’re about to be turned out into the cold streets unless someone can pay their rent.” “That’s the worst thing I’ve ever heard in my life!” says the woman. “May I ask who you are?” “Their landlord.”
What’s Your Story $10,000 Student Video contest is looking for your original work. Create a video on internet safety and you could win $10,000 in prize money. Must be 13+ to participate.
On Our Mind:
From The Twitterverse:
- alancross FINALLY… The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram http://bit.ly/9BefCs (via @JPWP)
- russeltarr Second Life to host first college graduation: http://tinyurl.com/r6oapg
- teromakotero Royalty free music for Education: http://tinyurl.com/yh82a7e http://plurk.com/p/4d7hae
- mguhlin Thinking about BYOT – Bring Your Own Technology? Start with students! http://ff.im/-ic1vR
- willrich45 Reading: “Duncan silent on Florida’s education mess” http://tinyurl.com/yf9qnvz Wow.
- kchichester Teacher should not be the hardest worker in the classroom @jimwenz #mra2010
- mbcampbell360 A wealth of resources on McTighe and Wiggins Backward Design process <- highly recommend for creating lessons http://bit.ly/cvjJNl #edchat
- NMSAnews New Digital Catalog! The NMSA Catalog April 2010: Leadership Resources For Middle Grades http://bit.ly/aQPrer
- Twilliamson15 http://bit.ly/9ljzDw Grant Wiggins EQ slides and info from presentation…use NSTA2010 as group password
- wbass3 I love it when students create things to help teachers in their classrooms. http://is.gd/b0CG1
- 21stprincipal “Our current education system systematically drains the creativity out of our children.” Ken Robinson
- 21stprincipal NCLB’s emphasis on uniform standards is putting emphasis on “conformity and finding the “right” answers. Robinson
- 21stprincipal Post to share with teachers having classroom management issues. http://bit.ly/98ooFP
From our Listeners:
Howdy gents! I enjoyed seeing the article about using smart phones in Algebra class. Last year I tried another approach to meet students with their own technologies. I had my “ticket to leave” problem on the board and students had to send me a text message with the answer before they were excused for lunch. I tried it for a couple of weeks to shake things up and students really enjoyed it.
Your Ukrainian fanclub President,
Kyiv International School
Girls and Boys on Achievement
Create printable PDFs and eBooks from any online content.
Use zinepal.com to create your own magazines and eBooks from any online content. You can select content from blogs, Atom/RSS feeds and other websites. zinepal.com reformats the content into a printable PDF and eBooks for use with eBook readers such as the Amazon Kindle, Barnes&Noble Nook or Sony PRS. It is the easiest way to repurpose online content for other distribution mediums.
Remove pdf password protections:
Events & Happenings:
Calendar of Events:
- NMSA is looking for both an Executive Director and an Assistant Executive Director. You can apply here. Good luck!
- Digital Jumpstart: Digital Tools for Digital Learning Conference
- Novi, MI April 26, 2010 held at the Novi Sheraton. See link for details.
- The Michigan Association of Middle School Educators Annual Conference is coming up March 17-18, 2011 in Coopersville, MI.
- The Michigan Joint Education Conference will be in Redford, Michigan (Thurston High School) this summer June 23, 2010. Keep tabs on the website for more details coming soon.
- Classroom 2.0’s Live Calendar.
- Second Life:
- Regular Tuesday meetings are scheduled. See the board on the ISTE Island for up to the minute details.
- Video: Educational Uses of Second Life