Honey bee who?
Honey bee a dear and get me a soda.
Bless you and please cover your mouth next time.
On Our Mind:
PLAN and Explore! Tests: Elimination of Social Studies Tests to pay for Explore! and PLAN tests.
From our Listeners:
Here’s the workflow:
- I use Audio HiJack Pro to record our conversation (normally over Skype, but sometimes iChat)
- I then move the audio files into GarageBand for Post Production (yeah, I actually do some post production).
- I export the mp3 file from GarageBand.
- I upload the show to our web site via Fetch (ftp program).
- I copy the show notes from Google Docs into a blog post (wordpress blog).
- I add the link to the end of the blog post using a Podcast plugin
- I then add the link into Podcast Maker (this writes the xml file that I use).
- I then use TextWrangler to open the xml file from the server at middleschoolmatters to update that file with the new information from Podcast Maker. (Had I not done some customizing early on, I could skip this step and just use Podcast Maker to upload the xml file).
Thus, the short of it is this: I use GarageBand, then create an xml file for the web site.
Middle School Science Minute
NIH Findings Magazine
From the Twitterverse:
|*CBrannon Reminder: Only dead fish go with the flow.|
|*garystager Gary Stager, Ph.D.Saying we need to “prepare” 100,000 teachers. What does that mean? Does that mean that the govt is going to pay for it?
@chaltertop Education needs to be linked to health & poverty. I also think all decisions should be made at the classroom level
|*DoTheMathBooks Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection must finish him. John Locke #quote|
|*TeacherSabrina LOL! RT @gatorbonbc: When did my status as teacher switch from unsung hero 2 Lex Luther, enemy of the free world? #GeezTheyCouldHaveWarnedUs|
|*drmmtatom What’s in a Surname? – A Map of Names #fhuedu508 http://tinyurl.com/4g3qubm|
|*mikeklonsky Alabama Republicans pass bill that bans teachers from state Legislature. http://bit.ly/e5ErsQ|
|*hrheingold 9 proposed courses for Rheingold U http://bit.ly/hs67ND|
|*russeltarr What Are the Seven Reading Comprehension Strategies?: http://tinyurl.com/ykevbdz|
|*rrmurry Tennessee teacher evaluation system still lacks specifics 6 months before launch [result of soul-selling for RTTT funds] tennessean.com/article/201101…|
|*LDpodcast #educon. Educon is like an education revival. Amen.|
Study on Testing
Common Core Resource
Commentary Collection: The Future of Teaching
This collection of Commentaries explores the future course of the teaching profession.
Parent Taken to Court for Falsifying Residency
Library Apps for iPhone/iPad
Google Apps for Education
The education technology space has seen an explosion of new offerings in the past few years. What has been missing is a centralized platform for schools and universities to easily evaluate and utilize web apps. Today we are excited to launch an education category in the Google Apps Marketplace designed specifically to help schools and universities easily discover and deploy new web applications that integrate with their existing Google Apps accounts.
The new education category includes over 20 applications from 19 vendors ranging from learning management systems (LMS) to student tools and teaching aids – all of which integrate with Google Apps for Education. Each app can be accessed through single sign-on and the Google universal navigation bar and many offer deeper integrations that synchronize with Google Calendar and Documents.
This new education category will make it easier for schools to have more web apps at their fingertips, including popular existing apps such as Aviary, Grockit, and LearnBoost as well as the new apps launching today.
Easel iPad App
Challenge.gov is a place where the public and government can solve problems together.
Murphy’s Teaching Law
A Class Divided
Events & Happenings:
Calendar of Events:
- National Conference: Thursday, November 08, 2011 —Saturday, November 10, 2011 Louisville, Kentucky.
- Promotional Materials:
- Crossword Puzzle! (Maryland Conference)
- Promotional Materials:
- ISTE Eduverse Talks are the recorded sessions held on ISTE Island every week. Join ISTE in their Second Life conference location for their weekly talks on education.
- The ISTE Special Interest Group: Virtual Environments is holding meetings on Mondays from 4:00 – 6:00 pm (SLT) on ISTE Island.
- The Ohio Middle Level Association will hold their annual conference February 17 – 18, 2011.
- The Michigan Association of Middle School Educators Annual Conference is coming up March 17-18, 2011 in Coopersville, MI. Coopersville Middle School is a National Schools to Watch School. (Phone: (616) 997-3400)
- The National Substitute Teacher Association’s Annual Conference July 22-24.
- The North Carolina Middle School Association’s Annual Conference March 13-15, 2011
- Classroom 2.0’s Live Calendar.
- Second Life:
- Regular Tuesday meetings are scheduled. See the board on the ISTE Island for up to the minute details. Check frequently this week as the ISTE Annual Convention is this week.
- Video: Educational Uses of Second Life