MSM 211: The ISTE Show Redux (Part I).
On Our Mind:
ISTE: After conference thoughts
Preparing for AMLE in November
- Twitter: Rich Kiker, Steve Chen, Chris Sousa, Gina Gallo, Pora Ora, IAIB Network, Michael Richardson, Charles Perry, Mary Clark, Elana Leoni, Riaz Abdulla, Michael Cohen, Vilia Reinsalu, Ann-Caryn Cleveland, Jason Eifling, Diethild, ViewARcom, Valencio Cardoso, Schoology, Jeff Bradbury, TeacherCast, Sandra Wozniak, @Lilylauren, DonFriesen, Tori McMurray, Ellie Dix, “Teenage Whisperer”, Jazz Caine, Epic Limo Bus (which we didn’t use . . . ), and Emil Ahangarzadeh (Director of the Calif. Tech Statewide Education Tech Service).
- Facebook: Kyle Paul
If I had to guess what was the ISTE PLN vehicle of choice, I’d guess . . .
Here is one example:
Middle School Science Minute
by Dave Bydlowski (k12science or email@example.com)
In the Summer, 2012 issue of Science Scope, a publication of the National Science Teachers Association, the safety question of the month was “After lab work, should students use antibacterial hand wipes or just plain soap and water to clean their hands?”
Ken Roy, director of environmental health and safety for Glastonbury Public Schools in Glastonbury, Connecticut provides a great answer. If you would like more information on science safety, you can purchase Ken’s book, “The NSTA Ready-Reference Guide to Safer Science,” through the NSTA bookstore.
From the Twitterverse:
|* Cheryl Lykowski @CLykowski
Web 2.0 for the Under 13s crowd http://zite.to/KVBztA via @zite
|* Richard Byrne @rmbyrne
New post: How to Ace Your Interview for a Teaching Position http://goo.gl/fb/t3qEa
|* Monte Tatom @drmmtatom
Proposal for the Creation of a Subdiscipline: Education Informatics #fhuedu508 http://tinyurl.com/7xcl9b2
|* Shelly S Terrell @ShellTerrell
Bloom’s Taxonomy According to Homer Simpson http://bit.ly/N0fjTT via @Larryferlazzo @GrammyLatino #edchat #education #eltchat #teachers
|* Larry Ferlazzo @Larryferlazzo
NEW: “My Social Studies Curriculum Is Freely Available Online” http://bit.ly/L5MOV4
|* Susie Highley @shighley
Big Campaign $$ for Indiana Supt. of Public Instruction comes from… New York and Pennsylvania? http://bit.ly/NsrdmY
|* Miss Noor ㋡ @missnoor28
100 Serious #Twitter Tips for Academics | @scoopit http://vsb.li/S8R3tx #EdTech #EdchatTI #SM
| tombarrett @tombarrett
Why relationships matter in school http://gu.com/p/38zqa/tw great piece by @jactherat – cc @dabbs
|* Bernajean Porter @BernajeanPorter
To those who missed my ISTE transmedia storytelling [also transliteracies]-explore the concept through Nick DeMartino @http://ow.ly/bVMRM
| anabellem @anabellem
Connecting more with colleagues improves craft, practice, and morale. Here are 25 ways to do a better job at it http://zite.to/MZz6yb #edchat
|* Digital Maverick @digitalmaverick
Challenge Based Learning: Making Movies with an iPad via @Ilotimo | @scoopithttp://bit.ly/O8S22g
|* Stephanie Sandifer @ssandifer
#ISTE12 Reflections | @scoopit http://bit.ly/O9gMr2
|* Stephanie Sandifer @ssandifer
ISTE 12: Escalators, Apps, and Sitting – Home – Doug Johnson’s Blue Skunk Blog | @scoopit http://bit.ly/O9h810
|* Summer Howarth @EduSum
RT @EduSum: That.Just.Happened- ISTE musings I A View From The Middle I #iste12 http://edusum.edublogs.org/2012/07/02/that-just-happened/
Guest Post: “Four ISTE Challenges”
July 1, 2012 by Larry Ferlazzo
GUEST POST by Ben Curran
- Less Tools, More Teaching
- The End of the Echo Chamber
- Diversity is Lacking
- The End of Excess
ISTE Keynote: What were they thinking?
Posted by Brad Flickinger on Jun 26, 2012 in school technology
As I have said before in this blog, I attend edtech conferences to be inspired and to steal ideas to take back to my own school. But when I left the keynote that opened this year’s ISTE 2012 Conference, I was scratching my head wondering what was the purpose of what I had just witnessed. I felt embarrassed to be an educator. Did ISTE really just do this to me? Did they sell out? Did they take inspiring me too far?
All of my notes can be found here.
ISTE Web Spotlight:
TIMMS/PISA vs. Entrepreneural Spirit:
Events & Happenings:
Calendar of Events:
Ohio Middle Level Association:
- The Ohio Middle Level Association will hold their annual conference.
AMLE Affiliate Conferences:
- The Michigan Association of Middle School Educators Annual Conference is coming up March 2012 in Warren Woods, MI.
- The North Carolina Middle School Association’s Annual Conference March 13-15, 2012
Classroom 2.0’s Live Calendar.
- Classroom 2.0’s Ning Blog: Archived content is available.